Tuesday, March 6, 2012

6 weeks


I can't believe how time flies. It has been six weeks since the birth of my first child. Jorja is growing like a weed, as they say. She has already gained 2 lbs (over a kilo, actually) and 5 cm (2 inches) in length. She has a cute little pot belly and is starting to have a bit of a personality.
Pregnancy was somewhat as I expected, although different when you are actually the one experiencing it. Labour and delivery was nothing like I expected it - some things were better (like how bad the contractions were (not so bad), and how good the epidural worked), and some things were worse (like needing a section, having a really high block with local anesthetic toxicity, and the side effects of the morphine). My recovery, however, was better than I expected. I bounced back quick and by 4 weeks was working out, and by 6 weeks doing my prepregnancy workout and abs.
Motherhood was nothing like I expected, either. OK, I expected sleep deprivation, and at the beginning I was surprised at how much this knocked me on my ass. I mean, I do call all the time and am used to staying up all night, but not EVERY night. To tell you the truth, the hospital was the worst. The first night (after labouring all night the night before), they came in every hour to check if I was breathing (really?!) and every second hour to feed, and then the second night Jorja was awake every hour to two to feed. So, it was 3 days before I had more than about an hour of good sleep. Once I got home, my hubby and I figured out a system that worked for us, and I actually got some sleep.
I didn't expect how much I would love this little person. She truly is a gift from heaven. Yes, there are times when I want to throw her in a snowbank, but for most part I love her to bits. I think she is SO beautiful. I love dressing her up like a little doll. I love hanging out with her. And having her in our lives has made me love my husband that much more. There is nothing sexier than seeing my husband cuddled up with our baby. She just loves him. Sometimes, he is the only one who can make her stop crying. We really are a little family, and a great team.
So, I knew I wanted to do this, but now I'm glad. I had my misgivings before she came along - would I be a good mom? Would I know what to do? I still have those thoughts, but I am learning to take it one day at a time and learn with her as we go and grow together. Yes, the sleep deprivation and flabby body are worth it.

No comments: