Sunday, March 7, 2010

Not an austerity program!

I think marriages are funny. They are all pretty much the same. The same struggles, the same fights, the same bonds, really. When I listen to some of my friends complain about their loved ones, I can't help but chuckle and think that they are just like us. Not always in the same role, though, but ultimately similar.
One disagreement, it seems, that everyone has is about money. One person in every relationship is frugal, while the other is not. In a way, this is a good thing. If both persons had no regard for money and spent everything they earned, the couple would quickly be bankrupt! On the other hand, if both persons were extremely frugal, they might have tons of money, but they wouldn't have any fun, and would be very boring, indeed. So, a balance is OK. It is striking the balance that is the problem.
This comes at a time when we are attempting a balance. I don't know how many times I hear, "We can't afford it. We are on an austerity program." Oh brother! We CAN afford it! No, I don't want to buy a chunk of the moon or even pay for a trip to get there. I am talking about things like blinds, landscaping, and travel.
So, we compromise. I try not to buy everything I want all at once. But, eventually, I will get my way, and we will have blinds, landscaping, and travel. It just takes time, and perserverence. OK, not really a compromise in the strictest sence, but it works for us.
Now, what colour of blinds to put in the basement......

No comments: